1.25.2016

The Surprise is Hidden in a Balloon

The day I found out I was pregnant started out like any normal Sunday.
I met a friend for brunch, we had mimosas, and afterwards I went to run some errands. 
While I was out I realized I still hadn't gotten my period so I decided to grab a pregnancy test while I was out just to make sure I wasn't pregnant. 

Once I got home I took the test and immediately the one blue line shot across. I just assumed it was negative and tossed it aside to go about cleaning (not waiting the 3-5 minutes recommended). About two hours later I went into the bathroom to finish cleaning and I picked up the test to trash it when I saw a little plus sign. It was so faint I thought it was just my eyes playing tricks on me. I took another, and again it was another faint line. All I could think was what I had read on the directions of the test, 'no matter how faint the line - if there is a plus sign you are pregnant.' 

I decided I had to have a test that said pregnant or not pregnant so I rushed to the store and grabbed another. 


To my surprise, it said pregnant. 

That's when the excitement and "oh shits" started to come into play. Let me remind you I was in Colorado the week before, had a glass of wine or beer almost daily, and hadn't been taking prenatal vitamins so I was a bit worried. 
When I found out, Justin was still in Vegas for a bachelor party so I scheduled a doctors appointment for Monday to confirm (I didn't want to tell him over the phone but it was so hard to keep the surprise and I had to make our calls short so I wouldn't spill the beans).




My doctor's appointment was comical. 
I told the nurse I "thought" I was pregnant. When my doctor came in she asked me why I just "thought" it. I told her I took a pregnancy test and it was positive. She said just one? To which I replied, no three. She asked if they were all positive. I said they were. She said "well dear, you don't just think you're pregnant, you are pregnant." She did a urine and blood screen which confirmed I was 4-6 weeks pregnant. 


Once it was confirmed I started planning exactly how I was going to tell Justin. 

He was near the end of his board studying and spending most days at the library. Luckily for me on Monday I had some work to finish in the City so I was able to run by Party City on my way home and get the house set up while he was finishing up at the library. I decided to make it a game for him and I figured he would think it was just a fun break from board studying. 



I bought twenty balloons and filled them with little treasure chests which each contained a note saying to "try again" or "pop another" 

Inside the special balloon was a treasure chest filled with confetti which said "baby"


All the balloons (except the special one) were scattered throughout the living room



The sign Justin read while walking inside. There was a tack attached to help with popping.


Let the fun begin! 


The treasure chests exploded open when he popped the balloons which wasn't something I was expected but it made it fun. 


Lots of balloon popping. 
Funny side note, after it was all said and done Justin said "babe, did you really have to do 20 balloons. I would have been happy with 5." Hahahah 


The end result of the balloons, treasure chests, and confetti 


The notes in each chest 



The confetti that flew everywhere letting Justin know he was going to be a dad :) he was shocked yet so excited! Baby Case is the best surprise we've ever received and we cannot wait to meet her! 

P.S. It wouldn't let me add the video so I'll add it straight to Facebook 




No comments:

Post a Comment